For a few moments, we can get our hands on iOS 14 beta and iPadOS 14 beta (and also macOS 10.15 Catalina, watchOS 7 and tvOS 14) but this privilege is currently reserved only for developers. How to Download and iOS 14 Beta.
Indeed, you have to go through the Apple developer portal to install iOS 14 beta, or iPadOS 14. But this year, the profile is not available for these two systems. Instead of downloading the file that unlocks the possibility of updating its system without going through a Mac, Apple brings out the good old IPSW file. You will need to download more than 4 GB on your computer and use iTunes. But that’s not all.
First of all, be aware that Apple clearly indicates that the first beta of iOS 14 contains a lot of bugs. Those who like to live dangerously should still wait for the public beta in July.
How to download iOS 14 beta / iPadOS 14 beta
To install iOS 14 beta (build 17A5492t) on iPhone, iPod or iPadOS 14 beta (build 17A5492t) on iPad, you need:
- Make a backup of your iPhone / iPad (optional but highly recommended)
- Be aware that this is an unfinished version (with potentially annoying bugs)
- Check that your iPhone, iPod or iPad is compatible with iOS 14
- Download the firmware that corresponds to your device on the Dev Center (attention, more than 4 GB)
- Install Xcode 11 beta and launch the app once to initiate the process (OR Install macOS Catalina and go through the Finder)
- Install the firmware via iTunes by pressing the Option key before clicking Update or Restore as needed.
And without a developer account?
We will keep you informed as soon as it is possible to install it without a developer account. Incidentally, the public beta arriving in July announced Tim Cook. Finally, the final version of iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 will be released in the fall of 2019. You can enjoy the dark mode and all the new features of iOS 14, as well as the new features of iPadOS 14. If you find the beta too unstable, it is possible to go back via iTunes, see our tutorial to downgrade to iOS 13.